Hi, I’m Lisa Shepard Stewart, marketing manager at Marcus. If you’re a regular reader of our website, blog posts, press releases and newsletters, chances are I’ve written it. In addition to working part-time for Marcus, I own a company called Cultured Expressions, specializing in the creative use of authentic African textiles for decorating, quilting, sewing and crafts.
Well, if you’ve followed us this far in the sew-along, you’re likely already a big fan of Repro prints. But even if you’re like me, and the Repros aren’t necessarily your go-to category when you quilt, I’d encourage you to try mixing them in with your favorites and see what happens. (The many deep, saturated colors and earthy tones of some repros would look great pieced in with bogolan / mudcloth from Mali or even Indian raw silks for a different take, but I digress…)
By now I know you can’t wait for the big reveal of the “Friends & Companions” quilt next week, so let’s get on with the instructions for the final block! For this block, you’ll need the following from Paula Barnes Companions: 1035-0112 Black, 1034-0111 Burgundy, 1702-0116 Sage, 1038-0188 Beige, 1033-0128 Cheddar
– from Burgundy, Sage, and Cheddar: Cut (1) strip 1½” x 15″ long
– from Black, Sage: Cut (4) squares 1½”
– from Beige: Cut (4) strips 1½” x 2½” and (4) strips 1½” x 3½”
(OR Cut one strip 1½” wide x at least 28″ long (for Alternate piecing method)
Block Instructions (Read thru all steps before you begin)
1. Sew burgundy strip to sage strip. Sew cheddar strip to the other side of the sage. Press. From this pieced strip, cut (4) 3½” sections.
2. Sew one sage square to each of the four 2½” beige strips. Sew one black square to each of the four 3½” beige strips.*
(*As an alternate piecing method, stitch the first square to the beige strip. Without removing the piece from the sewing machine, trim the beige strip to 2½” long, Stitch the next sage square to the remaining length of beige strip, and again trim the beige strip to 2½” long. Repeat until you have the four green-tipped strips, and four black-tipped strips. Cut strips apart; press.
3. Stitch the green-tipped strips to the four Rail Fence sections, lining up the sage square and cheddar strip as shown.
4. Stitch the black-tipped strips to the units, lining up the black square to the burgundy side as shown.
5. Join the four units as shown; square up for an unfinished block size of 8.5″.
Remember to leave a comment below for your chance at this week’s goodies – a bundle of Marcus fabrics in dark reds, one of my favorite palettes, and a Vintage Coin Purse Kit, a gift from Cultured Expressions, so you can create your own. Good Luck, everyone!
With your nine blocks now complete, we all THANK YOU for participating, and we hope you’ve enjoyed the process so far! Congratulations – your efforts will soon be well rewarded ; ) See you next week for the Big Reveal!! Late to the party? Start from the beginning!