Judging from the best selling book titles at some of our favorite project book resources, table toppers are among the hottest new project categories, combining the ease and speed of a mini quilt with the practicality of a useful home accent. Consider these reasons for their popularity:
- They’re a great way to try a new block technique without committing to an entire quilt.
- They’re easy to complete, even for the time-challenged.
- A table topper could be the right project to turn your non-quilting friends into fellow addicts.
- They make good experimental pieces, allowing you to work out new color palettes and designs
- When you’re ready for a new table look, it’s easy to transform the old one into a pre-quilted pillow front or purse!
- They protect your table’s surface from scratches and other daily abuse.
- Last BUT NOT LEAST: They’re an excellent project for all those adorable Marcus Li’l Bits 5″ fabric square packs you just couldn’t resist at the quilt shop. These versatile, mix-and-match fabric assortments are easy to craft into a complete table ensemble: toppers, bordered place-mats, runners, even coasters!
Check out Oh Sew Easy Table Toppers: 27 Projects for Stylish Living, by C & T Publications