February is National Embroidery Month! And it just happens that the newest additions to our design family are both embroidery experts! We asked them to share a few of their favorite tips for creating beautiful hand embroidered projects.
Cindy Staub of Quilt Doodle Designs debuted with Marcus last month with her SNOWMEN SNOW GLOBE BOM program, using her pre-printed panel and coordinating PRIMO PLAID FLANNELS: New Blues. We love Cindy’s mix of blue flannel stars surrounding the “snowfriends” globe, which she cut from the panel. On the panel you’ll find other fun design elements suitable for smaller projects, whether stitched or used as they are.
We asked Cindy to share a few embroidery tips; these are some of her favorites:
- Use good quality thread such as Valdani #12 pearl cotton. “I am fond of the variegated thread since I like the extra dimension it gives my stitching.”
- Have a small scissor handy for snipping threads. Cindy uses the OLFA.applique scissors.
- If you are a beginner to embroidery, don’t fret, you don’t need to know a bunch of stitches. “Good stitches to begin with are a backstitch
and French knots.”
- Cindy also recommends using a light to medium weight fusible (iron-on) interfacing to underline your fabric, it helps hide your thread from the ‘backside’.
Karen Phillips-Shwallon made her design debut for Marcus with HEIRLOOM SPLENDOR, a trio of pre-printed panels ready for your thread embellishment and more. The designs would be perfect for wedding and anniversary gifts and new baby keepsakes, as well as everyday home decor enjoyment.
She also share a few favorite creative products:
- For her stuffwork dimensional needlework Karen prefers Tuscany 100% Premium Polyester OR Mountain Mist Light as her batting and DMC Perle #12 thread
- Embroidery thread: DMC Perle #12
- Embroidery needles: John James JJ135-3-9
- Quilting thread: Mettler Silk Finish quilting thread 50 wt solid cotton
- Quilting needles: Tulip 10 quilting needles (“the best”)
Look for these beginner-friendly pre-printed panels in quilt shops – Heirloom Splendor is available now, and Snowmen Snow Globe comes to quilt shops in June, when we’ll likely welcome cool thoughts as we line up new stitching projects for fall and winter!